“Shit is the tofu of cursing and can be molded to whichever condition the speaker desires. Hot as shit. Windy as shit. I myself was confounded as shit…” David Sedaris
Bestselling author, David Sedaris has long been one of my favorite authors. He tells stories from his childhood and his everyday life with a shrewd eye for detail and a magically twisted sense of humor. The stories about his family are hysterical (“You Can’t Kill the Rooster”)! The adventures of this author are definitely not the norm for the rest of us. Here is just a few examples:
- He was an elf at Macys for the holidays.
- The village he where he lives in England named a rubbish truck after him because he is more than a little obsessive about picking up litter.
- He moved to Japan to quit smoking.
- He moved to France with his partner, Hugh, knowing only a handful of French phrases, one of which was “bottleneck”.
- While living in France, a misunderstanding with a nurse left him sitting in a waiting room in just his underpants…a very busy waiting room.
His book tours take him all over the world which is prime fodder for stories (“Standing By”). David loves his book tours. I was lucky enough last year to go to one of his readings last year. David Sedaris is a storyteller extraordinaire. Do not EVER pass up an opportunity to see him in person. Make sure you take any of his books you would like autographed. He signed books before and after the reading and a more gracious and appreciative author you will never find. When signing books, he makes it a point to ask everyone a question as he signs their book(s). He asked me, and wrote in my book “Why did you kill Prince?” (this was the Saturday after his death.) Sarcastic, snarky and irreverent, now you know why I love his writing.
Do yourself a favor and pick up one of his books. Better yet, listen to one on Audible. Hearing David Sedaris tell his stories is the absolute best.
David Sedaris Links:
*Fair warning, cursing in the above links. Of course, you are reading this in the Random Sh*t portion of my blog, so you probably already knew that.